destroys house in Paradise
February 9, 2007 | PARADISE -- Fire destroyed a house
at 945 S. 200 West St. around 11:30 p.m. Feb. 2.
The house belonged to Justin and Amanda Wilding. No
one was injured in the fire, but there was extensive
Paradise Fire Chief Troy Frederickson said he thought
the fire was caused by fumes from a piece of furniture
that Justin Wilding had been lacquering.
"He was lacquering next to a woodburning stove. I
guess the combination of the fumes and the heat is what
caused the fire," Frederickson said.
Frederickson said the Paradise Fire Department was
on the scene 10 minutes after being paged.
But 10 minutes is a long time in fire terms, he said.
"It doesn't take long for a fire to get going and
really burn, really do some damage," he said.
He estimated damage to the house to be between $120,000
"It was destroyed; there wasn't much left except for
a little bit of metal structure standing," he said.
The house fire was determined by the Paradise Fire
Department to be a "working structure fire," Frederickson
said. In the case of a working structure fire, Frederickson
said fire departments from Hyrum and Wellsville help
the Paradise City Fire Department.
"We try to get as much manpower and equipment as we
can in a fire like this," said Frederickson.
He said that the fire was quickly extinguished, but
that the Paradise Fire Department stayed for several
hours after to help clean up what was left.
Frederickson said the Wildings have moved in with
their in-laws until they can find a new home.