HNC Home Page
News Business Arts & Life Sports Opinion Calendar Archive About Us
LAST HURRAH: Jaycee Carroll high-fives fans as he leaves the Spectrum court after what was likely his last home game. Click Arts&Life for a link to photos. / Photo by Tyler Larson

Today's word on journalism

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Grammatically Speaking:

"We owe much to our mother tongue. It is through speech and writing that we understand each other and can attend to our needs and differences. If we don't respect and honor the rules of English, we lose our ability to communicate clearly and well. In short, we invite mayhem, misery, madness, and inevitably even more bad things that start with letters other than M."

--Martha Brockenbrough, grammarian and founder, National Grammar Day

SPEAK UP! Diss the Word at


Richmond weathers Wednesday's blizzard

By Matt Sonnenberg

February 15, 2008 | RICHMOND -- Schools and businesses were slowed in Richmond by Wednesday's blizzard that hit Cache Valley with over five inches of snow. Several operations in Richmond were either slowed or cancelled outright because of the severity of the storm.

The Cache County School District cancelled all after-school activities for North Cache Center in order to get all students home safely during the storm. According to a secretary at North Cache, the school buses were able to get students home without any complications other than the extra time it took to drive safely.

"There were some calls (from parents) because they were a little slow," she said.

One local business felt the effect of the snowstorm as well in a record-setting way. Lucas Beckstead, a supervisor at Big J Burgers said, "Slowest night we've ever had." Only one worker was delayed enough to be late for work that evening Beckstead said, however it seemed as though the majority of customers stayed in for the evening.

"Money-wise it was the least amount ever for lunch," Beckstead said.

While local schools and businesses were suffering the effects of the storm, Richmond city officials weathered the storm without closing down any of its operations earlier than normal. There was one delay however, as snowplows in the city were forced to cease operation for a period of time in the evening hours.

"They did have to quit in the evening because of the (wind) blowing," City Manager Marlowe Adkins said. The snowplows resumed operation and worked until the early hours of the morning to clear the roads of snow.

Adkins also said that there were no traffic accidents related to the storm that he was aware of.


Copyright 1997-2008 Utah State University Department of Journalism & Communication, Logan UT 84322, (435) 797-3292
Best viewed 800 x 600.