Mendon
finishes marking streets, planning trail to school
By Chari
Ingraham
November 16, 2008 | MENDON -- The City Council announced
on Thursday night the completion of its street signs
and the finalizing of plans to create a trail leading
to the elementary school.
Nearly all of the street school signs and markings
are completed, with the exception of three school zone
signs, said Councilman George DeWeese.
The council voted unanimously to reopen 100 East St.,
which had previously been closed due to concern over
child safety and lack of proper street signs. DeWeese
said 34 signs were completed, which included speed zones
and stop signs.
In addition to the reopening of the road, the city
will also be able to begin work on a rock path that
will start from 100 East and lead to the elementary
school.
Problems arose when parents realized their children
were walking in the middle of the road to get to the
new elementary school. After much debate, the city council
agreed to close 100 East and formed a committee to begin
fund-raising for a new path for the children. The committee
also began fund-raising for new street signs and markings,
as there was also much concern over the number of people
who were speeding and running stop signs.
"Along with the installment of the new signs, the
path will get the majority of the kids off the street,"
said Councilman Jon Hardman.
NW
MS |