HNC Home Page
News Business Arts & Life Sports Opinion Calendar Archive About Us
AN AGGIE LINE: USU cheerleaders perform during the Aggies' final exhibition game. It's time to cheer for basketball. / Photo by Brianna Mortensen

Today's word on journalism

Friday, November 10, 2006

Q&A with Ed Bradley:

Q: What single issue should be covered more at CBS News?
A: Foreign news.

Q: Have you ever been assigned a story you objected to? How did you deal with it?
A: When I first started in New York at WCBS radio, the assignment editor automatically assigned any story that had a minority in it to me. I objected to being typecast and told him if I didn't get a variety of stories -- as other reporters did -- then I would take it up with the news director.

Q: If you were not in news, what would you be doing?
A: If I had the talent, I'd play bass guitar and sing in a kicking band.

--Ed Bradley, reporter, "60 Minutes," died yesterday of leukemia at age 65 (2006)

Students get the skinny on making smarter meal choices

By Irene Gudmundson

October 30, 2006 | About 40 people, mostly USU students, gathered at 7 Wednesday night to learn how they can eat healthier meals.

Liz Rabe and Cindy Pitcher, USU seniors in the nutrition and food science department, ran the annual program designed to help people make better meal choices.

"We decided to change the focus this year from weight-loss to healthier eating," said Rabe.

A simple game of Jeopardy shared many pieces of key information that can help people to know the facts about what they are eating and what they should be eating.

Answers to the Jeopardy questions were read aloud by Rabe and Pitcher, such as the number of vegetable and fruit servings needed in a day, and also what foods actually count for those servings. For example, Pitcher explained that only a juice with 100 percent juice can count as a serving of fruit. She added later on that the using juice as a fruit serving is not always smart because the fiber in the actual fruit is not added into the juice after processing.

Need extra vegetables in your diet?

1.Buy them at the grocery store
2.Prepare them right when you get home and save them for a later time when you you'll be eating-on-the-run
3.Keep lots of frozen vegetables in your freezer and add them to stir-fry or soups

1.When you're finished eating something with a high content you're fuller longer and generally ate fewer calories
2.Fruit juice does not have any after processing
3.Vegetables have a lot
4.Eat a bread and cereal with 5 grams of fiber on the nutrition label (some good choices, Harper's, Fiber One)

Whole grains:
1.Read and compare the labels, ingredients and nutrition information of whatever you want to buy
2.Make sure the ingredients include the words whole wheat flour, whole corn flour
3.Multi-grain bread is not a good source of whole-grains
4.Popcorn is a whole grain

Fat and calories
1.Thirty-five percent of your calories can be from fat a day
2.Avoid trans and saturated fats
3.Try to eat low-calorie foods that will leave you feeling full longer

1.Only 100 percent juice counts as a serving
2.Buy canned fruit that is canned in water or light syrup

Both Pitcher and Rabe stressed getting a high fiber intake; as it keeps hearts healthy, cholesterol low and bowel movements regular. Pitcher explained that multi-grain bread is not a good source of whole grains or fiber as it generally has refined flour in it and fiber is not added back into the bread, as many nutrients are, after it all the processing.

"Brown doesn't mean whole grain," she said. "A lot of times they add molasses to bread to make it brown."

Other ideas included comparing foods you eat for snacks like if you're tempted tp choose a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup you can get the same calorie intake and more nutrients from 57.5 baby carrots or three apples or half a can of black beans. Rabe went on to say surprisingly one package of the Peanut Butter Cups' calorie intake can be matched with 7 cups of unbuttered popcorn.

The final Jeopardy question was to explain the 90/10 rule, which is, if you are healthy and nutritious 90 percent of the time you can slack off a little the other 10 percent, explained Rabe and Pitcher.

"Just as you budget money to make that big purchase, you need to budget your food," said Rabe.

Next week's meeting will explain how exactly to budget money when buying food so people can make the smartest purchases. Wednesday's meeting was the first of four that Pitcher and Rabe are hosting. The cost is $2 for each class and $5 for all four. The money goes entirely to materials used for the classes said Rabe. The next three classes will be each Wednesday night at 7, Nov. 1, Nov. 8 and Nov. 15.



Copyright 1997-2005 Utah State University Department of Journalism & Communication, Logan UT 84322, (435) 797-1000
Best viewed 800 x 600.